9.15.2008

the last week...

this is my last week of work at my current job. next week i will be starting a new one, that involves a better fit in that it requires a degree, it has a better schedule(10 hour work days, so every other weekend will be a four day weekend), pays a bit more and is much closer(my 32 mile bike ride will soon be 4 miles).

it has been bitter sweet for me, especially as i think about what today may bring. today i will be letting the clients i work with know that this is my last week. as i think about how i am going to say everything, and maybe specifically to a few folks, i get a bit overwhelmed. in the end i know that these clients i have worked with have seen people come and go, and i am certain that they will persevere(what kind of ego would i have to think my leaving would be any worse or different), and i believe the feelings will be a bit mutual. i will miss seeing these clients make progress and learn. i will miss teaching the classes i have taught for over a year now. and i am sure i will be missed.

so what do i do with all this? i am unsure at this point. to be here, in the now, inspires me to just take what comes my way. to know that i can do my best this week to remind each individual of their worth and remind them of the tools they have to continue their recovery. to remind them that they have inspired me. and perhaps to tell them that it wasn't so long ago that i was where they were.

in spite of all this, i know this is the right move for me. i know that this is what needs to happen. i am aware of how important it is to close this chapter in my life and begin something different. and that has made all of this a bit easier. but today and the rest of this week will not be easy.

[pardon the vague terms i have used, considering the nature of my job(mental health professional) i prefer to not go into as little detail as possible. for obvious reasons]

No comments: